Consigning desktop icons to toolbar

Iskander 19:56 02 Jun 03

I understood that it was possible to expand the width of the taskbar to accommodate desktop icons, thus clearing the desktop. However, although I've succeeded in widening the taskbar, I can't find a way to place the icons into it. When I try drag and drop a 'No' circle appears. I've tried unlocking the taskbar, but to no avail. Can anybody help? (I'm running XP).

recap 20:26 02 Jun 03

Left Click and hold the desktop icon, drag the icon along the taskbar until it changes to what looks like an emboldend letter I. Once this symbol appears let go of the mouse button and the icon should then be placed on the taskbar.

recap 20:27 02 Jun 03

Sorry that is a little misleading, It will not be the icon that changes but the 'No@ entry symbol.

Bebee 20:29 02 Jun 03

I'll try again - just got timed out.

I think XP is the same as previous versions in this respect.

You should be able to drag the shortcuts to the section of the toolbar just to the right of start. There should be some icons there already. The section that shows open and minimized windows is different and will give you the 'no' circle. You can adjust the size of this section to accommodate them or click on the arrows that appear to get a list.

If you drag the shortcuts with the right mouse button you get the option to move them there instead of copy - saves you deleting them from the desktop afterwards.

I hope I am on the right track and this helps.

Pesala 22:25 02 Jun 03

I don't know about XP, but in Windows ME one can drag a Toolbar off the taskbar, and onto another side of the screen. Then one can add toolbars to this new taskbar, and autohide it. I have three taskbars.

1. Start Menu taskbar at the top, with quickstart and accessories, and shortcuts to several My Documents folders.

2. A taskbar at the bottom with graphics programs, system tools, references, and entertainment.

3. A taskbar on the left with text files and PDFs.

All are on auto-hide, always on top, with large icons and no titles or text.

I only leave the recycle bin and my computer icons on the desktop.

canard 22:32 02 Jun 03

If you just want to tidy your desktop R click the start button and then on the menu click open. You can then add a new folder, call it shortcuts and shove most of the icons into it.When you left click start your shortcut folder will appear in the menu. This is probably better than loading up your taskbar which will [Ithink] devour memory.

canard 22:33 02 Jun 03

If you just want to tidy your desktop R click the start button and then on the menu click open. You can then add a new folder, call it shortcuts and shove most of the icons into it.When you left click start your shortcut folder will appear in the menu. This is probably better than loading up your taskbar which will [Ithink] devour memory.

Iskander 17:32 03 Jun 03

Thanks to recap, Bebee, Pesala and canard for their advice. In fact, the way to do it seems to be to right click on the taskbar and select 'Toolbars'-'Desktop', then drag the taskbar along. This makes some of the stuff from the Start menu visible on the taskbar, and all of the desktop stuff is available on a pop-up menu at the right-hand end. I haven't made it permanent yet because of what canard said about it possibly devouring memory - anybody know anything about that for definite?
Thanks again, anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…