Considering Upgrading to Socket 939

dregn 09:41 10 Dec 04

I want to upgrade my wife's PC(Socket 478 P4 based )
I have not used AMD boards or CPUs before so it is unknown territory to me. But they seem to be increasingly popular and effective.
I would like to go down the Socket 939 route and as well as the M/board I will need a new CPU and what else ?
Obviously I would like to use as much as possible from the P4 setup, including the 1GB of DDR 2700 memory.
Any advice will be much appreciated. TIA

alan227 10:54 10 Dec 04

The DDR ram will work on a 939 board,but if you are upgrading to future proof it ( as much as that is possible )I should wait for the PCI-Express motherboards which will be appearing shortly. This will entail buying a new graphics card
Do not use a 940 board as they only use registered memory.

BITS&BOBS 13:33 10 Dec 04

939 motherboars I have the ABIT AV8 great board click here aslo recommmend the AMD 3500+ 939 click here

The PC2700 will run fine in dual channel mode! as the CPU has an integrated dual channel memory controller with support for ddr 333!!! very power ful set-up!!

dregn 19:53 10 Dec 04

alan227 and BITS&BOBS , thank you for that. Your suggestions have focussed my mind and I will do my research along the lines suggested.
I am in no great rush to upgrade ( and my wife does not see the need! ) but will wait a few weeks before I decide.
Looks like I will only need a new PCI Express G/card in addition to M/board and CPU.

Many thanks, again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…