Considering upgrade to XP. Need Advice

helfit 18:59 28 Mar 03

I am currently running windows 98se. To upgrade to xp do I need to re-format my hard drive first or can I load over the top???

MAJ 19:03 28 Mar 03

You don't have to format, helfit, but it is advisable. If you have the upgrade XP CD you will be asked for your Win 98 CD during the installation to prove you're entitled to the clean install.

MAJ 19:06 28 Mar 03

That wasn't really clear enough, was it, helfit?

It is better to do a clean install of XP, rather than just upgrade Win98. To do the clean install you will need to backup all your important files first. And you will need your Win98 CD.

Kalb 21:45 28 Mar 03

WinXP Home Edition will install alongside Win98SE and provide a dual boot option..... this happened when I installed WinXP using the Win98 recovery disk. However a much better option I found later was to remove Win98 by formatting and to load WinXP direct from the CD after changing the Bios to boot from the CDRom rather than A drive. WinXP won't load from a DOS prompt for some reason.

the gambling man 22:44 28 Mar 03

personally I found that to install windows pro one had to reformat from fat 32 to ntfs to get it to work.

VoG™ 22:49 28 Mar 03

Just install over the top.

Once you're happy that all is OK you can convert to NTFS if you wish.

SDJ 22:51 28 Mar 03

Yeah I did that and havent experienced any problems.

artist 23:20 28 Mar 03

Good luck! I had all sorts of problems trying to upgrade to XP from W98.
A clean install was the answer in the end.

old jim 08:50 29 Mar 03

My advice is dont do it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…