Considering getting a TV Card for my Desktop

wee eddie 19:41 04 Oct 10

Has anyone any relevant experience of the Cards available?

How easy/difficult they are to set up, and how the results compare to a normal TV?

TV Dongles just plug in to a USB socket, results depend on your Antenna - Rooftop antenna, indistinguishable from normal TV - Indoor Antenna, depends on your area/strength of signal (Digital signal).

You can also use click here but you will be using bandwidth instead of an aerial.

sunnystaines 22:17 04 Oct 10

looked into it a while back unless you use the home tv aerial the picture will be poor the portable plug in areials even with booster seem to be poor, unless there has recently been a big improvement.

What you say is more ore less true for analogue, for digital, you either get a picture or you don't!

AL47 19:37 05 Oct 10

i have a digital pci-e x1 card and yes you wont get much with the mini aerial, you need to be connected to the main aerial of a house.

works great with media center.. can pause live tv, record progams with one click via the tv guide, and as i have my recording area on one of my 1.5TB HDDs i have as good as it gets unlimited recording potential

for me it works a treat

wee eddie 00:11 06 Oct 10

I have a spare PCI-express slot and shall be connecting to an external aerial that already receives the Digital Freeview Channels and the normal terrestrial ones.

Which card do you have?

sunnystaines 11:11 06 Oct 10

might think again

onthelimit 16:03 06 Oct 10

Except that with a poor signal strength, I get pixillation and freezing.

That falls under the "or you don't" bit! lol

onthelimit 17:15 06 Oct 10

Yeah, but it's not all the time :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced