Considering changing to Linux

kentylad 12:27 13 Jul 04

As a Computer Science student I am inevitably going to and have to use Linux, and as a result of this I have decided to dual boot my Windows XP laptop with Red Hat linux.

Being realtively neew to linux and having only used machines with it pre-installed (i.e. in a laboratory) I am a little sketchy on the install procedures and system compatability.

Having read several reviews of Linux, I have noticed that the System Requirements state a 'Pentium Processor' is needed, and the lab computers I am used to using all have Intel P4's. However my laptop has a Mobile AMD Athlon XP 2000+.

Will Linux work on my system?

Diodorus Siculus 12:30 13 Jul 04

Yes, no problem.

I have Suse running on an Athlon; and had RH on a Celeron.

I think they generally use the name "Pentium" as a generic title for "pentium class processors".

Djohn 12:37 13 Jul 04

I agree with Diodorus Siculus, while I don't have personal experience of doing this I know many people who use the AMD range of CPU's with no problems at all. j.

Valvegrid 12:48 13 Jul 04

I have Xandros installed dual booting with my win 98SE using an HP computer with an AMD processor. I just rebooted the computer with the Xandros disk in and it asked where I wanted to install it, I chose a spare partition I'd prepaired by removing all the junk off of it. It installed in about half an hour. It picked up all my hardware including the Firewire! Which Windows never did, not as if I plan on using it, but Xandros found it.

I don't think I'll be using Windows much now.

click here

Kase 14:51 14 Jul 04

To Valvegrid what was the purchase price please and where did you buy the product. I would like to try Xandros Linux. How does it compare with Madrake 9.2 or say Redhat. I presume that it would dual boot with Windows XPHE?

Kase

Valvegrid 18:05 14 Jul 04

Sorry about the delay in getting back, but work interrupts.

Someone at work gave me a copy of Xandros Desktop V1.1. After I'd used it for a couple of weeks, I was so impressed with it I downloaded V2 directly from Xandros: click here

The cost is US$89 for the Deluxe version. Don't bother with the standard version, it's a bit restricted and the business version has only Sun office with full support which the average person doesn't need because OpenOffice is quite satisfactory for most purposes.

Yes, it dual boots fine, along with 98SE anyway, I found its best to give it its own partition unless you are a bit more expert on how the Linux system works and can understand the partitioning.

I've never used any Linux distro before, so I can't compare it with any others, but the general consensus is it's much more user friendly than most of the others.

Hope this is of help?

Let us know how you get on?

Good luck

Paul.

Kase 21:54 15 Jul 04

Thanks for the reply Valvegrid and the info I will follow your thread. I have decided (after spending an interesting hour reading the threads on this Forum via the search box and entering Linux) that I will set up Linux on a pentium 3 800hzs I have spare,so it will be on its own Computer, much easier to throw it out of the Window then!!!. Hope it will not come to that but as a newbie to Linux understand I will have a steep learning curve.

Kase

Valvegrid 22:07 15 Jul 04

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Paul

LastChip 22:27 15 Jul 04

I can't comment on Xandros as I have never tried it, but I can tell you Mandrake is far more "people friendly" than Redhat (imho).

I have a quin boot machine, that has Rehat 9.0, Mandrake 9.2, Mandrake 10.0 and a couple of Windows systems.

Out of the three Linux distro's, Mandrake 9.2 is my favourite. Redhat, is OK, but I could never get the update system to work properly. Mandrake 9.2, installed flawlessly and was the least hassle to be able to use out of the box (on a home network). Mandrake 10.0 uses the latest kernel, but I get some failed messages during boot up, which I cannot get to the bottom of at the moment, although it works perfectly OK.

For speed and stability, you'll wonder how you ever coped with Windows;-)

zanwalk 22:32 15 Jul 04

I can also recommend Mandrake 10, I have recently aquired this on a mag cover disk, and it is the easiest distro by far that I have tried, and I have experimented with around 15 different distros over the past three years.

I finally can say that I am getting to grips with it now and I am fast becoming a big fan!

algernonymous 22:46 15 Jul 04

I really want to use linux too, but can't get mandrake 9.2 to configure modem. It's so frustrating...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac