Considering change from NortonA/V to AVG Free

johnbull 11:44 13 Apr 05

I have Windows XP Pro. and have been useing Norton for the past year, however the renewal is due at the end of this April. I've read a lot of good reviews about the AVG virus protection product and am seriously considering trying this out. What I'm concerned about is the problem of removing the Norton product and the problems I'm informed will occurr when I do this! is there much truth in this!! and what can I do to make the transision trouble free! I'd be very grateful for any advice
Best regards Johnbull

Creditman 11:51 13 Apr 05

This week I uninstalled NAV 2003 (due to expire shortly), no problem at all (on Windows XP Home)& installed AVG Free. I then had a major problem on Outlook Express - AVG mail scanner somehow stopped my server connection & I could not connect. Being impatient & annoyed I uninstalled AVG & reinstalled NAV 2003. All done without a problem & the bonus is that my NAV 2003 expiry date has jumped forward from April 2005 to April 2006 !! N.B I reinstalled NAV2003 from the original disc. Hope this helps.

Creditman 11:54 13 Apr 05

Forgot to add - I am told this free extra year only works with NAV 2003, not later editions.

pj123 11:59 13 Apr 05

Well I think we are all biased towards the software we use, me included. There are lots of threads for and against Norton. I had a problem with Norton and when it ran out I took it off and now have AVG, Adaware, Spybot, Spywareblaster and ZoneAlarm all free and all running quite happily.

the kopite 12:04 13 Apr 05

Acting on advice I read on the forum I uninstalled norton and installed AVG I can state my pc is a lot quicker and I have had no problems kopite

Ironman556 12:21 13 Apr 05

I used to use McAffee which I bought for £25, but I found it to be more trouble than it was worth (crashes blue screens etc. I was running 98 at the time) I switched to AVG Free and have never had a problem with it.

I now use Avast which is also free from click here as it picked up things that AVG didn't for me. I also run adaware click here spybot click here Spyware guard click here Spyware blaster click here and the free version of Sygate personal firewall click here

Update them all at least once an month and you should have a trouble free PC in the virus/spyware department! It sounds like a lot but once you get used to it it's no big deal and the only two that run permenantly are avast and spyware guard (which I would recomment in addition to your AV anyway)

Yoda Knight 12:23 13 Apr 05

You dont run your firewall permanently ???

interzone55 12:46 13 Apr 05

Norton appears to be a lot better behaved when uninstalling than it used to be.

I've uninstalled Norton 2005 off two machines in the last couple of weeks and found no problems.

I'm leaning towards Avast! at the moment, it seems to be updating more frequently than AVG and also monitors instant messenger software, something that very few other AV packages can boast.

Maverick81 15:17 13 Apr 05

Have a look at Norman antivirus click here

Their sandbox technology picks up quite a lot of virus's even if a definition file hasn't yet been written for it.

Well worth a look

Cheers

Mav

johnbull 18:02 13 Apr 05

To all that so kindly gave me advice many,many thanks it was greatly appreciated and I took bit's and pieces from all the advice comments and now will remove Norton with confidence and also consider Avast, as well as the other applications suggested. I'ts great to know that there are so many kind and helpful people out there,in this exellent Forum site.
My sincere regards to you all
johnbull

Ironman556 10:03 14 Apr 05

Sorry my mistake I do run my firewall permenantly, somehow I totally forgot about it momentarily :-s

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…