Conserving printer ink

bazza11 16:00 20 Dec 09

I understand that every time I switch on my HP Photosmart all-in-one it uses some ink from each of the 4 cartridges. Should I leave it switched on all the time or is there a bigger downside to this? (I heard if I do this the nozzles dry out and get clogged). Thanks.

Technotiger 16:33 20 Dec 09

If you do a fair amount of printing, it is best to leave it on all the time, otherwise if you are only doing one item a day, switch it off.

I do a fair amount of colour photo printing, and have found that by using a 'Draft' setting in printer preferences, the pictures print quick, inks last much longer and prints, believe it or not, are still totally acceptable - anyone not knowing my printer settings would never guess that I use the Draft setting.

My printer is the Epson Photo R360.

xania 17:13 20 Dec 09

We have an HP OfficeJet J6410 all-in-one and, because this is linked to the telephone for faxes, is left on permanently. Once again, as with Technotiger, we have the printer set in draft mode except when we want to print on photographic paper. Finally, to cut sosts even further, you can get perfectly good original (albeit sometimes slightly out-of-date) cartridges on Ebay. Some of the price reductions are amazing and I've not had a duff one yet.

bazza11 10:49 21 Dec 09

Thank you for your help.

GaT7 11:02 21 Dec 09

"Finally, to cut sosts even further, you can get perfectly good original (albeit sometimes slightly out-of-date) cartridges on Ebay."

Couldn't agree more. I was getting them at ~£2 each delivered for my HP inkjet when the shops were selling them at almost ten times more! G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…