Conroe Chips

Chris-347369 21:57 28 Jul 06

I don't know too much about processors so i'm having difficult working this one out.

If you have a Pentium 4 chip in your PC now, if in the future you wanted to upgrade, would you need a new motherboard if you wanted one of the new Conroe ones?

ed-0 22:03 28 Jul 06

" Though Core 2 Duo chips use the same Socket 775 interface as current Pentium 4 and Pentium D chips, they require new chip sets, so you'll have to get a new motherboard--you can't just pop a Core 2 Duo chip into your existing Intel-based PC and reap the tremendous performance gains. "

from click here

gudgulf 22:07 28 Jul 06

Yes you would.

Conroe or Core2 DUO as it is now known is a socket 775 cpu.........BUT, it requires very precise voltage control which most socket 775 motherboards can't provide.

There seem to be very few boards around for Conroe at the moment and those that do support it are by and large very expensive (well over the £100 mark)

Very desirable nonetheless.

Chris-347369 22:07 28 Jul 06

Was worth a try! I won't be upgrading for a good few years then

chrisbather 21:23 22 Sep 06

bringing this one back up because i want to buy a new conroe chip but havnt a clue as to which mobo to get. Like you say not all sockeet 775 mobo's will work with a conroe cpu so which one do i buy??

ed-0 22:08 22 Sep 06

Best thing is to select your cpu click here. Then add what extras you would like on the motherboard. Oh and what size, do you want it micro or standard.

Dancingbrave 15:05 23 Sep 06

Are there not bios updates now too some 775 mobos which once updated will support conroe core 2 duo.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac