Connection woes

Wildcard 10:54 18 Feb 05

I am using Windows98SE, with free AVG7, Adaware, Spybot Search & Destroy and Zone Alarm. I have Outlook Express6 and use TescoNet for my ISP.

I can be working fine, then suddenly although the TescoNet Dial Up box says I am still connected, I cannot connect to a web site or send/receive emails. The phone line is completely dead (no noises like when you phone a fax number).

I've tried Internet Explorer Repair, running AVG, Adaware and Spybot, but nothing has shown up. I've shut down ZoneAlarm and Avg, but it still does it. I've queried this with TescoNet, but they say it's not them.

If I restart everything is fine until the next time.

Please can anyone throw some light on this very annoying problem.

Thanks to all those that respond.

Yoda Knight 10:57 18 Feb 05

get ur phone line checked for noise

Technotiger 12:46 18 Feb 05

Hi, start by checking simplest things first, check actual physical connections within pc and the tele connection point. Check the fitting of modem - remove & replace making sure of a good fit. Check the actual cable phone to modem, try another cable. Then get your phone line checked.

Good luck.

FelixTCat 13:02 18 Feb 05

You probably have a poor phone line. During voice calls we often ignore crackles and other line noise. Modems are more particular and will often interpret crackles as part of the traffic or pauses as the end of the transmission. This can cause them to shut down.

Usually, all you have to do is close the dial-up connection and start it up again.

Do check that your connections aren't wobbly or loose where the phone line plugs into the wall and into your computer.

Sometimes, other people picking up another phone extension can cause this.

Also, having more that 4 phones (including the modem) on one line causes problems.

Wildcard 15:06 19 Feb 05

Thanks to Yoda Knight, Technotiger and FelixTCat for your responses.

I will get on to BT this afternoon.

Thanks again.

FelixTCat 15:25 19 Feb 05

You're welcome.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…