Connection speed puzzle

tasslehoff burrfoot 23:02 12 May 04

Hi all,

I am on Tiscali's 150kb service but whenever I connect to the internet, I get a little ballon appear saying "connected to Tiscali ADSL at 2.3mbps". This puzzles me.

I'm guessing that this is the max speed of the modem but my actual speed is capped at the tiscali server. Is this correct?

Can anyone satisfy my curiosity?

Many thanks,

Tas

VoG II 23:04 12 May 04

You are probably correct with your guess. Try click here

QuickHare 23:09 12 May 04

It is a common mistake to think that kb/s is the same as kbps. They're different.

kb/s is KiloBytes per Second. This is the transferrate you see when you download or upload a file to/from the Internet.

kbps is KiloBits Per Second, and refers to the binary transfer. 8bits=1byte. Therefore, the kbps rate should be eight times that of your kb/s rate.

As it turns out, your connection speed is 2.3mbps, which is 2300kbps (mbps = MegaBits Per Second).

However I don't quite know the connection between 2.3mbps and 150kb/s. It should be either 287kb/s or 1.2mbps.

If anyone else can help?

QuickHare 23:11 12 May 04

Vog, you beat me to the reply. If the speed is capped, that'll be why the maths is out.

woodchip 23:26 12 May 04

All you need to do is download a big file, You would soon see the dif in 150kb and 2.3mbps go hear to test your speed click here

tasslehoff burrfoot 23:49 12 May 04

My query was why the incorrect speed in the balloon, not which speed do I get so I think my guess was probably right.

VoG and Woodchip, thanks for the links, results are pretty much as expected.

Thanks again

Tas

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…