connection refused

andyloran 07:35 23 Sep 05

Am using XP PRO and AOL DSL. I can use the net quite well on AOL, but when I try to use Firefox it refuses me. also unable to update certain sites. (AVG for instance - have to do it via AOL and then save the updates in files) I am also unable to use any sites that I have updated since I installed Firefox. have since deleted firefox but still these sites will not connect. Please, any one help.

rawprawn 07:58 23 Sep 05

As far as I know you can only use the AOL browser if you connect using AOL> When you say you deleted Firefox, I assume you meant "uninstalled" Otherwise there will be a lot left hanging around.
Try running Regseeker to clear unwanted registry entries. click here

andyloran 08:05 23 Sep 05

Not so. It all used to work but doesn't any longer. Whenever anything updates, then it will not work. I just tried to check for updates for Nero and it came back that I had to be connected to the internet, but I am, I am.

jack 10:17 23 Sep 05

I agree with RawPrawn
~
AOL uses its own discreet software browser.
Others may work through it , but if you are an AOL'er than stick with it or dump AOL alltogether

SANTOS7 10:22 23 Sep 05

You have to launch your AOL browser, minimise it then launch Firefox it will work that way...

Wuggy 10:33 23 Sep 05

When you say programs stop working after updates - could it be that you then need to update your firewall settings. As the program has chamged it will, as far as your firewall is concerned, be a new program and may not have been configured for access.
Just a thought.

andyloran 15:04 23 Sep 05

Even when I go to McFEE firewall and click on summary it says 'page cannot be displayed' and when I try to get thro to help on mcfee, it says 'could not open browser'. This seems to be the same thing on them all. I have tried to disable the firewall but it still will not work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…