Connection problems

5starred 22:03 16 Aug 07

My sister in law is having trouble connecting to the Internet. She is using a Netgear DG834G wireless router and Talk Talk is the ISP. I set the router up a few months ago and it worked fine until last week. The signal strength is excellent and the router seems to be working fine i.e. lights flashing on start up etc.

Anyone give me any ideas where to start troubleshooting?

Technotiger 22:06 16 Aug 07

She could try re-setting the router - disconnect Power, wait ten seconds, then re-connect Power.
Not guaranteed to work, but does sometimes.

5starred 22:18 16 Aug 07

Tried that just had a quick look before I went to work but still no joy.

Could a firewall be blocking it?

Technotiger 22:21 16 Aug 07

Firewall, possibly. Or perhaps Security Settings in her browser may be too high.

5starred 22:22 16 Aug 07

But why would it be working then all of a sudden do this? Security was set at medium.

5starred 19:27 05 Sep 07

Just spent 3 hours reconnecting via ethernet cable which works ok but can't get it to work wirelessly - any ideas?

Technotiger 22:30 05 Sep 07

Hmm, the fact that it did work ok originally but not now, is rather puzzling. Only other suggestion I can make is to perhaps start again from scratch, and set it up as you originally did.

Or maybe if you run CCleaner it might just clear something in Registry that may have become unstable.

5starred 09:30 06 Sep 07

Would do but as its not my machine if it affects anything else I will be responsible.

Technotiger 09:33 06 Sep 07

I think at least, CCleaner is worth a try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5