connection problem?

redsusan 17:48 31 Mar 10

Hi, My friend has just bought herself and Daughter a new laptop each they are both the same make. Samsung. So they had virgin broadband put in (the lowest speed)now my friend has had no problems with hers at all but her Daughters has been trouble since day one ,she keeps losing connection,after numerous calls to virgin and following there suggestions =turning of the router etc the problem is still there. in fact she rarely gets more than 3 bars showing at the bottom corner and always has to reconnect when browsing.
I hope ive explained this properly and someone can offer a solution of how to fix this please.

Thanks
Susan

ame 19:05 31 Mar 10

1. In same house, same room, is problem still there?
2. Same make AND model laptop? Which model?
3. Presume you are both connecting wirelessly. Avoid placing router beside other electrical appliances, to ensure no interference.
4. Try changing channel, by logging into your router settings page using your browser.(e.g. Internet explorer.)

ronalddonald 20:56 31 Mar 10

were not mind readers more input needed to help

redsusan 22:07 31 Mar 10

Sorry for not getting back quickly. just got in from work.
1.yes
2.same make samsung NP-R519-JA06UK
3 both connecting wirelessly.the router is where the guy fron virgin installed it.behind the tv.
4.Please tell me how to change the channel.
Really are newbies

Susan

ame 10:38 01 Apr 10

Router should not be beside a tv, as far as I am aware. Nor cordless phone base stations, microwaves, etc. You can also get interference from other peoples' wirelss signals if they are on the same channel. However, if one of you has no problem with signal strength & dropping connection and the other does in exactly the same circumstances, it is perhaps unlikely that the router or its location is to blame. What make/model router is it? To change channel or alter other settings such as security, you have to login to the router settings via your web browser by typing in it's address - e.g. for Belkin it is 192.168.2.1. Need to connect your laptop to it by ethernet cable first.
Do you have an instruction booklet for it? Check on underside too.

redsusan 11:34 01 Apr 10

Thank you. will try that .

Susan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…