connection problem

dawnal 11:01 05 May 06

I have a HP Pavillion PC running Windows XP (home) I am connected to the Internet with TalkTalk Broadband.

I often get cut off, for no apparent reason, and I get this message: "Error 619. No connection to the Internet could be found so the port used for this connection was closed,." When this happens I am unable to reconnect until I have restarted the computer.

I have looked, as the message suggests, in the Help and Support centre, but this has given me no help at all.

Can anyone tell me why this is happening and what I can do to fix it.

Thanks
Alan

remind 11:53 05 May 06

what modem do they supply with talktalk?
i wouldn't be surprised at the odd connection drop with such a new service and so many eager subscribers, but it shouldnt require a reset.

Gongoozler 11:58 05 May 06

Apparently this could be a known XP bug. click here. Try uninstalling and reinstalling the modem. It is also possible that there is too much load on the USB port, so try a different port or a PCI usb card which may better be able to supply the modem power.

dawnal 14:14 05 May 06

Thanks for the information.

I have reinstalled the modem. It didn't make any difference. I'm trying a different USB socket. I'll see how it goes with that.

Thanks again
Alan

dawnal 09:55 11 May 06

Thanks for the advice.

I thought I had this sorted as it seemed OK for a few days. Sadly, its started again. Can anyone suggest anything?

Stuartli 10:11 11 May 06

>>with such a new service >>

TalkTalk has been providing broadband for some time...:-)

dawnal

Are you connecting to the modem partially by using a telephone extension cable?

This can often cause connection problems.

Have a look at Tiscali's Help pages:

click here

This are relevant to all ISPs. TalkTalk also has BB Help pages at:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…