connection only to 24kbps

barami_2002 13:48 09 Apr 06

hey,how r u doing?
i bought new comnputerfor the last week,when i login to the internet,the connection rate only comes with 24kbps,why this,my neigbour friend has old computer with 700mhz got 44kbps,sometimes 48kbps.how comes that to him not to me?please help.

Diodorus Siculus 13:55 09 Apr 06

Can be a combination of things:

(presuming it's dialup)

1 - wrong / poorly written modem drivers

2 -poor quality phone connections

3 - very long telephone connections

are just three.

Give some details of your setup.

I had a dialup modem on win2k that always reported at 31,000 but seemed just as fast as my laptop reporting 48,000.

The figure quoted isn't always accurate.

pj123 13:56 09 Apr 06

I think you are talking Dialup? So it has nothing to do with the computer. It is all down to your phone line.

Diodorus Siculus 14:04 09 Apr 06

pj123 -not quite; poor drivers can cause this also.

terryf 14:20 09 Apr 06

Also depends on the server at the source of the file

pj123 14:36 09 Apr 06

Diodorus Siculus, I concede with what you say, up to a point. I think most "branded" modems would have well established/written drivers.

I am on NTL Cable Broadband but still have an analogue modem (Conextant) installed. Used only for sending faxes and/or as backup if my BB goes down. Not had any problems with it, even before I went BB.

Maybe because I am on Cable phone and not BT.

Diemmess 16:18 09 Apr 06

Your computer is new, so top whack speed on dial-up, with your modem would be 56K. In my experience 44K was my best ever.

As already said in a different way, the maximum connection speed can be handled by almost any old computer.
It won't be faster because it has quicker file handling circuits 'inside the box.'

Your telephone line is virtually the same as your neighbour, but you could try asking BT to "Turn up the gain" on your number.
The service is free and reversible.
The possible snag is that like a volume control the 'noise' increases as well as the signal.
Turning up the gain really did help me once upon a time.

Finally some sites are simply slower than others so you may find quite big differences depending on traffic where you are downloading. This is because of bottlenecks in the site's system.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5