connection, niggle

rambus 11:20 21 Dec 03

i have two pc`s connected to the internet via a router. they share a broadband connection, but are not networked together in any way. both pc`s have zonealarm enabled. the problem is that, if you come off line and try to go back on you have to reboot first, could the firewall be causeing this to happen.
any advice would be most welcome. thanks

Lozzy 13:18 21 Dec 03

Question:: Why do you come off line when you have Broadband??

One poss explanation could be the firewall but unlikely since you can connect initially.. What are your settings in Internet Options then Connection??

LastChip 13:19 21 Dec 03

Don't take this as being Gospel, but more of a thought provoking, brain storming session!

If your router is configured to automatically lease an address to the client PC, could it be, that when you come off line, the lease expires, and the only way you can renew the lease is to reboot?

If however, you configured a manual address, maybe that address would always be available, and hence you could log on and off at will.

It may also be worth investigating any FAQ's at the routers web site, to see if this problem is known, and any possible solution.

As far as Zone Alarm is concerned, for the minimal risk involved, disable it and see if it makes a difference.

rambus 17:08 22 Dec 03

have tried disconnecting zonealarm and that sorts out the problem, but not to happy to be online without a firewall, any suggestions ! thanks.

LastChip 23:11 23 Dec 03

Pesumably, your router has a fixed TCP/IP address. Is that true?

Rikku 00:18 24 Dec 03

any hardware firewalls?

rambus 11:22 24 Dec 03

thanks for your response`s. as i understand it because i am on broadband i will have a fixed tcp/ip address, the router remembers this for second pc,therefore as far as internet provider is concerned it sees only one pc irrespective of weather one or two pc`s are online. the router does have a basic firewall by default but because i am not networking the pc`s its never been or could be configured. its a Q-TEC router
and you dont need any software just plug in to isp modem then plug in both pc`s, it works great just this niggle with what appears to be zonealarm.have considerd doing without a firewall but dont think it would be wise. thanks again

LastChip 13:56 24 Dec 03

The router will have an address in order to communicate. We are not talking about your ISP address, but the address the router itself has. In other words, your ISP needs an address to communicate with your router, which in turn, needs your computer(s) addresses to pass the information on.

So, what is the relevance of all this?

In Zone Alarm, if you click on Fire Wall; Zones; you can add your router address to the Trusted Zones. ZA should no longer block your router.

What operating system are you using?

rambus 14:39 24 Dec 03

LastChip, thanks for response, just checked zonealarm as you explained and its showing a address for the ethernet card, "realtec RTL 813" "ip address ?????????" " "entry type, " adapter. "zone, internet".

rambus 15:01 24 Dec 03

forgot to say that i am using xp home.

Rennaissance 15:06 24 Dec 03

if you have windows xp, use their built in firewall.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…