connection keeps dropping

Ex plorer 11:48 04 Dec 05

Having problems with my connection it keeps dropping. I am on a LAN but it never drops on two other PCs. It also keeps going off line in the file menu. WinXP

Ex

jazzy j 12:22 04 Dec 05

is it the internet connection that's dropping, or the connection to the LAN?

Have you tried switching the software firewall off and seeing if you get the same probs?

Ex plorer 12:46 04 Dec 05

Hi XP FW is turned off, I have turned it on many times but it all ways turns its self off. I am running Norton and have now turned the FW off till next boot. I think that the BT Voyager 1200 that I use has a Fire wall built in. I only use one FW. The connection from the PC is by Ethernet Cable. Its just dropped the connection now after four minuets.

jazzy j 12:49 04 Dec 05

OK well it could be the cable itself, of course.
Otherwise my money's on Norton.

Ex plorer 13:12 04 Dec 05

OK I will swap cables and ports.
Leave norton Virus on only and try XP FW

Ex plorer 13:42 04 Dec 05

Under FiIe it keeps going off line, by ticking the off line?
Untick it and I can go back on line but it will it seems to get ticked again.
This seemed to happen after I tried to network my Printer.

jazzy j 14:23 04 Dec 05

check these boxes are unticked on IE:
tools, internet options, connections tab, [highlight connection], settings, advanced, 'disconnect if idle' & 'disconnect if connection may no longer be needed'

Stuartli 15:17 04 Dec 05

Also check, if you use Outlook Express, that in the Send/Receive box that Hang Up When Finished is not ticked.

It's one that's often overlooked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…