Connection to Internet

rensen 09:48 AM 07 Jan 13

I posed this in general forum and was advised maybe best to try helproom. I have just purchased my laptop which has windows 8 on it. Have a wireless router but it connected to Internet briefly and then disconnected me and I cannot get back.

Details: HP G6-2244SA EE2 ISP: Worldwide Group - have not been able to help Wirelss router through NetGear wireless 150 DSL

Can you please help?

rensen 10:36 AM 07 Jan 13

Hi Network adapter has wifi, network and family controller. I have gone to networks and trouble shooter but did not come up with solution.
I have a button at top of keypad that shows a blue light for flightmode off so guess that is the wireless switch?

Chronos the 2nd 10:51 AM 07 Jan 13

Have you tried it with an Ethernet (wired)connection?

rensen 12:18 PM 07 Jan 13

Hi,

Sorry my mum is not technical and I am just visting for a short while

Basically the router works fine on a direct connection but not wirelessly. the router was tested and worked fine at the supplier before being sent out. An IT guy came out over xmas and it worked for a day and then dropped again. The router is in the conservatory extension which is brick and has glass windows but has a small metal framework at the top where the blinds hang down from. Could this be an issue? The laptop is fine and all wireless settings are on. I have tried my laptop and another which I use all round the UK and connect and my laptop couldnt connect wirelessly either although again worked on a direct ethernet connection

Thanks for your help

Secret-Squirrel 12:27 PM 07 Jan 13

"The laptop is fine and all wireless settings are on. I have tried my laptop and another which I use all round the UK and connect and my laptop couldnt connect wirelessly either."

When you say it couldn't connect, what happens exactly? Do you see the Netgear router's name in the list of available wireless networks? If you get any error messages then let us know what they are in full.

Chronos the 2nd 12:32 PM 07 Jan 13

but has a small metal framework at the top where the blinds hang down from. Could this be an issue?

No I do not think so.

I am hopefully right but you say that another laptop also does not connect wirelessly,I would suggest that you need to look at your router settings which means opening your router browser page.

Is this your router? You will need to type this http://www.routerlogin.net in your browser then enter the password to get to your routers settings.

Chronos the 2nd 13:03 PM 07 Jan 13

If you have not got a Netgear router it won't.

Chronos the 2nd 13:19 PM 07 Jan 13

If you have a Netgear router you should see this when you click on my link,where you put in your username and password.

rensen 13:41 PM 07 Jan 13

Hi all,

In the router admin page now

No modem, as router is connected directly into phone socket

Can see the router name in the wireless list. Error is windows was unable to connect to celbr which is the wireless SSID name

Secret-Squirrel 13:45 PM 07 Jan 13

"In the router admin page now.."

Thanks for the info.

Navigate to the Wireless section and change its wireless-channel number to one that's as far away as possible from its current one. Don't forget to save the changes. That can frequently help with wireless problems such as yours.

rensen 13:49 PM 07 Jan 13

ok thanks, it was on 6 and have changed to 11. Do I need to reboot laptops etc or should they find it. have still got the same error at the moment

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…