connection to internet

Dark Knight 21:43 15 Apr 05

Hi

I am trying to get onto the net via NTL set top box. Upon boot the modem makes all the correct flashes but when I open IE I only get the 'the page you are looking for is currently unavailable' message

When I go to control panel and open Network and dial-up connections I have a local area connection. When I right click and select status it says 'connected' and gives a duration and speed. However, when I click properties I get the following error message

explorer.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x76f3082c" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read".

Click OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program

NTL insist that it is a computer problem and are therefore of little help or rather are unwilling to help.

I have tried reinstalling IE6 and this seems to have been successful buit still get above message.

No virus - and have checked for spyware using adaware.

Have also tried winsock fix.

PC is running windows 2000.

I am now at a loss as how to how to proceed. Any suggestions.

I am pretty sure there is a connection but do not know ahet either the error message or how to resolve it.

woodchip 21:47 15 Apr 05

have you rebooted the set top box? switch it of and back on

Dark Knight 21:50 15 Apr 05

Yes

And retried installing the NTL software but get the message described above mid way...

thanks

woodchip 22:10 15 Apr 05

Have you tried remove Software in Add Remove and Delete the ISP in Networking, but remove Modem before you do the above. Then reload Software drivers, and then connect the modem back up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…