Connection icon-incorrect speed.

dagwoood 18:58 30 Mar 04

I have recently changed to a broadband connection(blueyonder 256kb). The modem is connected to my ethernet adapter and when I click on the connection icon it's not showing the connection speed but the port speed(i.e.100mbs).

Is there a way to correct this and show my true bandwidth?

I'm on xp pro and the ethernet adapter is a VIA Rhine II fast ethernet adapter(built onto a pcchips M851 motherboard(KM400/KN400 chip-set)).

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers, dagwoood.

Diodorus Siculus 22:17 30 Mar 04

Not sure about this but the correct drivers might help if you don't already have them installed. But if the connection works ok, I would be loathe to change anything to get the correct speed displayed.

dagwoood 22:36 30 Mar 04

Thanks for the response.

The driver is correct as it was recently updated and I downloaded it from microsoft.

My connection gives me great bandwidth, it's just one of those little things that if it was easy to correct, I would like to know how.

Thanks again, dagwoood.

VoG II 23:06 30 Mar 04

No. It will show you the LAN speed 100.0 mbps. To see your actual speed you need to use a test such as click here

dagwoood 23:30 30 Mar 04

Hi VoG™. As per my first posting, I knew that it's showing the LAN speed, I just wandered whether I could get it to show a realtime bandwidth speed instead of accessing speed test sites(as per your link).

Thanks, dagwoood.

VoG II 23:36 30 Mar 04

As far as I know, it will only display the LAN speed. Useless, I know.

I stand to be corrected.

dagwoood 00:48 31 Mar 04

I'd been thinking about this and I came to the conclusion, as you've posted, that it will only show you the LAN speed because that is the bandwidth that is available, irrespective of what your actual theoretical maximum download speed is.

As you pointed out, it's a useless function.

Thanks for your input, dagwoood.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…