Connection to External HDD

skins100 17:01 16 Jan 11

Hi all
I realise this subject is discussed ad nauseum, but haven't found an answer to my problem in other streams.
I have an external Western Digital HDD I wish to permanently connect to PC. When I boot up with HDD connected, its gets to the Boot screen and wont go on to load Win (XP).
I have tried to alter the BIOS Settings (see below), changed the battery in montherboard (Asus Pent 4) and spoken at length to my computer literate brother in law - he cant work it out either.

The essence of the problem seems to be that when I boot up w/o external HDD connected, I can get into the BIOS. I then connect the HDD but the BIOS doesn't recognise it, so can't change settings.
But when I boot with HDD connected, it won't let me into the BIOS so can't change the settings.
I have also tried alternative HDD connection - my phone. This boots OK connected, and is recognised by BIOS even when connected post-boot.

I'm in a catch-22 situation. I need to get into BIOS to adjust settings, but BIOS doesn't recognise the HDD.

As a last resort, I've also looked at the config settings of HDD, but can't see anything in there that might help - but to be honest I'm not really sure where to look for this bit.

Please can someone help cos its getting very frustrating.

Thanks
David

ICF 17:17 16 Jan 11

Check the boot order in the bios.Make sure it only set to boot from Hard drive only and not USB

skins100 17:29 16 Jan 11

ICF
I've tried that. I've disabled all Boot sources except c:\.
I can't find a setting that forces hard drive boot apart from this one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5