Connection dropping when computer on for a while

Totally-braindead 13:01 04 Aug 07

The titles not exactly accurate I'll try to explain whats wrong.
I'm using a BT 1800 HG router to connect to PlusNet and its fine, connection of between 3.6 megs and 4.5 megs now thats fine but, when the computer is left unused the screensaver comes on and when you connect to the internet again the speed drops through the floor, usually its so slow it times out. The same also happens if I go away to play a game and come out of the game and try to reconnect to the internet.
Now the router is always on, all the power settings are set to always on, PlusNet suggested I connect via the ethernet rather than USB which I'm now doing but its the same.
If I restart the PC then alls well while I'm on the internet even though I might be on for hours but come away from the internet and do something else or leave the PC for a while and come back to it and it says its connected ok but just times out and you have to restart.

Anyone any explanation/solution for this?

X™ 14:45 04 Aug 07

Sorry, is this a wireless or wired connection?

X™ 14:45 04 Aug 07

I mean wireless or wired router?

Totally-braindead 14:47 04 Aug 07

Its a wireless router I believe but I've got it hard wired into my ethernet port on my desktop.
And repairing it doesn't seem to do anything. I did try it.

eedcam 14:55 04 Aug 07

. are you running IE7 if so try disabling explorer add ons . Or even the screensavere

X™ 14:56 04 Aug 07

Hmm, strange. Try uninstalling and deleting the ethernet card? Also try restoring the router to defaults and/or resetting it.

Totally-braindead 15:12 04 Aug 07

Tried Firefox as well and it does the same so I don't think its anything to do with IE7 but thanks for the idea.

X™ 15:20 04 Aug 07

Hmm. Confusing. Do you have any other PCs to test it on?

Totally-braindead 15:22 04 Aug 07

Fraid not, I always used a USB modem before and I would disconnect from it and then reconnect later and it was fine.
Thinking about that I think I'll disable it then reenable it and see what happens.

X™ 15:24 04 Aug 07

We had a similar condition wirelessly with our laptop. A factory defaults and changing the key 100% solved it.

Totally-braindead 15:58 04 Aug 07

Well when I reenabled the connection I couldn't get IE7 or outlook to reconnect, it appeared they did not see the connection any more.

I presume that with this router it appears as a LAN in the connections?

Not really sure how this works as I've always just used a USB modem before, I will get to the bottom of it - eventually.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5