Connection Bonding, and SDSL?

Gaz 25 21:03 15 Apr 05

Well, basically... I'm looking for a high bandwidth connection. Upstream is quite important, and would be looking at 500k.

SDSL, for a 512k up/down is going to cost £200 a month with ease, and - also more importantly a cisco sdsl router will cost an arm and a leg.

I have two draytek routers at the moment, I've heard about bonding connections which seems a great idea.

I have a 1024k down, 256k up with supanet and are thinking about a second 512k / 256k with Metronet... and bonding the two.

How, I hear you ask?

Well, by using this: click here

I'm wondering if about £650 and, of course line rental for two lines and £32.98 a month for both connections together is worth it?

What do you guys think?

Thanks.

Forum Editor 14:50 17 Apr 05

based on your assessment of cost-effectiveness. If you're moving large amounts of data upstream you'll need to consider what your ISP is going to say about your bandwidth consumption, never mind your connection speed.

Are you running a LAN behind the Supastream? If you are, and the budgets stretch to it, my advice is that you consider a hardware firewall as well.

Gaz 25 21:29 17 Apr 05

Thanks for your comments, I have contacted a few ISP's and ZEN seem to be perfectly fine with transfering large amounts of data upstream and downstream and their costs are very good too, so I think that is a great option for my requirements.

I already have a hardware firewall, plus the routers have a ip table list too, all clients also have software firewalls and ip tables on linux machine, so I presume this should be safe enough.

There will be a LAN on the network, yes.

I'll tick this thread as resolved, since Zen seem to be fine about the data transfer. SDSL and Leased line is just out of the question at around £800 - £900 a month.

Thanks again!

Regards,
Gareth

Gaz 25 21:31 17 Apr 05

Also, as far as I know the superstream can bond two different ISP connections together, but does this mean that I have to have two BT lines?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…