connection being hijacked

terryp96 22:14 06 Apr 04

I am having problems tonight regarding something taking over my internet connection and dialling on its own. I checked the connection in Options and it was an ISP called AXIS I haven't a clue where it came from as I run Evesham. I have deleted this connection from settings twice but it re-appeared again,tried restarting computer. It appears to be working OK at the moment.
Just been searching pages and it appears I am not the only one with this problem, not seen the AXIS ISP mentioned though.
I am running Win ME , I have Norton and AVG installed for over a year with no problem.
AVG says there is no virus so what is the problem.

VoG II 22:17 06 Apr 04

You've got a dialer. Use Spybot click here

Download, update and run

terryp96 20:51 07 Apr 04

Hi Vog don't know if I've solved my problem. I think I had inadvertedly made some of my files open with 'Internet Explorer' so as soon as I clicked on file to open it I assume it tried to connect to Explorer if I wasn't connected, does this make sense or should I run your suggestion anyway.?
Thanks for your help

VoG II 20:53 07 Apr 04

Run it anyway. You may be surprised and it cannot do any harm. Update it before running.

temp003 04:06 08 Apr 04

Agree with VoG. You should run Spybot anyway, especially when you had this AXIS Connection which you didn't know anything about.

Internet Explorer can open quite a number of files but it shouldn't try to connect, especially with mere data files.

terryp96 19:30 08 Apr 04

thought I had solved problem but have found now that my Windows Media shortcuts on Desktop and left hand bottom corner and disappeared and been replaced by what looks like an exe. file.
If I hover mouse above these replacement shortcuts it tells me that they are Windows Media but when I click on them it immediately tries to connect to this 'Axis' site, if I am already on line with my normal ISP and try to download any Media progs it disconnects that and tries to connect to 'Axis'.
If I right click on this replacement, properties,
shortcut. under target it reads-
Files\Windows Media Player\WMPLAYER.exe.
Any ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…