Connecting works laptop at home

lindyloo4 13:59 31 May 06

Is it possible to connect a laptop to a home phone line with no internet connection to be able to pick up work emails from a work laptop.

If it is, will you explain in simple terms how it can be done.

Thanks in advance, it will make my boss very happy.

Jackcoms 14:03 31 May 06

"Is it possible to connect a laptop to a home phone line with no internet connection to be able to pick up work emails from a work laptop."

No

lindyloo4 17:39 31 May 06

That's that then !

johnnyrocker 17:40 31 May 06

yep

johnny.

Jackcoms 17:50 31 May 06

Having said that, if it's important (to your boss) that you can access work e-mails from home, why not get the boss to pay for your internet connection at home?? ;-)

Stuartli 17:59 31 May 06

>>why not get the boss to pay for your internet connection at home?? ;-)>>

But the boss might "not be very happy" if asked...:-)

lindyloo4

It would depend on how important such e-mails are to his/her business and your work - the greater the urgency the more chance he/she would agree to the request.

lindyloo4 18:07 31 May 06

My boss doesn't have a computer at home but if she paid for a "pay as you go" connection would this then work. I'm sure she would be happy to pay for this as it is quite important that can read her emails as working from home is now an option for her.

If it is, what connections would she need?

Thanks again.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:38 31 May 06

If she has a BB connection fitted then could install a Virtual Private Network to connect to PCs at work to download files to work on check e-mails etc.

The VPN allows you to connect via the internet but keeps others from accessing confdential work files etc. click here

lindyloo4 19:04 31 May 06

But I think that's going a bit too far for her, at the moment anyway, all she wants to do is read her emails. She doesn't need anything else.

Will tell her about it for the future though.

Jackcoms 19:18 31 May 06

Tiscali do a 1MB unlimited broadband + free weekend phone calls package for £14.99.

My sister has recently signed up for this package and by 'asking nicely' got it reduced to £12.99 per month!! click here

Stuartli 19:20 31 May 06

You initially gave the impression it was for your use...:-)

So long as your boss can use webmail with her ISP, all she would have to do is log on to her ISP, go to the webmail section and download any e-mails available.

It would only take three or four minutes even on dialup using a PAYG account, so the cost would be minimal.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…