Connecting wireless from Vista?

Roy* 16:42 24 Jun 09

So tonight I need to try for the first time to connect my daughters new laptop to our wireless network. It’s a new laptop which is Vista and the home PC is XP.

So what’s the process to find the wireless signal and connect to the internet from the Vista laptop?

Is there anything I need to do to the modem/router setup, somebody said about changing the channel or something to avoid signal conflict? It’s a standard Netgear DG834G which is password protected?

mooly 18:21 24 Jun 09

When the laptop is powered up and "ready to go" just hover your cursor over the network icon in the system tray and right click it. Select connect to a network, pick yours from the list available and that's I seem to remember. All self explanetry, enter your router passkey if used and make sure the box "always connect to this network" is ticked... should be by default.
You can also select "connect to" from the start menu to access networks.
Also make use of "help and support" in the start menu... just type "wireless networks" in there.
Much under used feature help/support.

Woolwell 19:11 24 Jun 09

Just to add to mooly's post - Make sure that the wireless on the laptop is switched on first.

tullie 19:41 24 Jun 09

It is recommended that you connect wired first.

Woolwell 19:51 24 Jun 09

tullie - why?

If the network is already set up and you want to connect to the router then all you need to do is as mooly has stated. This is precisely what I did with my Vista laptop connected to a hoem wireless network.

tullie 21:14 24 Jun 09

Sorry,i dont know why,but it has been recommended many times on this forum

Woolwell 22:21 24 Jun 09

Not to hi-jack this thread but it is a good idea to connect by wire when first setting up a router. Once it is set up then it is not necessary.

Roy* 08:56 25 Jun 09

Well in the end it all went smoothly the laptop (Dell) had a set up guide inside the box. That just told you to click the start button (bottom left corner), then click ‘connect to’ and it shows which networks are available, one of them was ours so selected that and clicked connect. I was then asked for the pass key that I’d set up when I installed the modem/router and it connected at full strength as we was in the same room as the router.

We took it upstairs to my daughters bedroom and the signal went from 5 bars to 2? Not sure what effect that will have? Does it just mean the connection is less reliable and may drop out sometimes or does it effect the speed? I have heard something about changing the channel on the router (5,7 or 8 or something) but not sure what that helps?

rdave13 09:10 25 Jun 09

I had to change channel from 9 to eleven on my setup to get a stronger signal. Log in to your router (192. 168. 0. 1) and select wireless settings on left. In the page you can change the broadcasting channel. Try different ones to see if you can get an improvement.

Roy* 09:16 25 Jun 09

I'll give it a try tonight. I guess that you don't need to do anything to the laptop that will still find the signal what ever channel it's on?

rdave13 09:17 25 Jun 09

No, it just changes the channel it broadcasts on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…