connecting to wired router via telephone cable

JVJ 10 Oct 07

My question is - Is it possible to make a broadband connection between my PC and my wired router via 4 core telephone cable? The reason for the question is because I have two telephone extensions, one in each room where I have a computer that I want to be able to connect to the internet via broadband. If possible I would like to connect the router to the main incoming telephone line and then use the extension connections to connect to the Ethernet slots in the router and then via the extension sockets make the connection to either computer. But not sure if it is possible with only 4 core cable?

Strawballs 10 Oct 07

No you need a network cable

DieSse 11 Oct 07

Lots about lan cabling and connectors.

Since only 4 wires are actually in use, telephone cable, especially if it's twisted pairs, might work over relatively short runs.

Suck it and see - if it doesn't work all you've got to do is bite the bullet and get some cat5 cable.

ambra4 11 Oct 07

Have a look at power-line networking

Using the electrical socket to network your computers

click here

NETGEAR’s 85 Mbps Power-line Ethernet Adapter (XE103) is the fast solution for extending your home network by using standard electrical outlets.

click here

DieSse 11 Oct 07

For some reason I didn't notice I hadn't given you the link - apologies

click here

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message