connecting to wifi with smartphones/tablets with Belkin Router

ipswichlister 09:49 AM 26 Aug 12

Hi all

I've got a Belkin F5D8236-4 wireless router. I've had no trouble connecting three laptops to it, but I've completely failed with my HTC smartphone and a friend has failed with a iPhone, I've also failed with an iPod. I've just got a Nexus 7, for my birthday, and that won't connect either! All devices find the network, they just don't connect!

I really would appreciate any help so I can use my present. I perhaps should say that, although I consider myself reasonably computer literate, the whole world of networking is a complete mystery to me!

Thanks in anticipation

Steve

difarn 12:49 PM 26 Aug 12

Have you tried unplugging the router for about ten minutes and trying again?

You could also try resetting the router - this will involve r-entering all of the settings.

There may be a problem with the wireless channel of your router - go into the configuration pages and see if changing this channel helps - a lot of routers have a default channel setting of 6 - try 1 or 11.

Are you sure that you are using the correct network key on your devices?

This piece of advice is from a Belkin forum

"f your htc device has WPS(wi-fi protected setup) in the wireless settings enable it with the wireless on, now somewhere on the back of the router should be a small button with a padlock above it hold, that down for 5 seconds and the padlock symbol on the front will flash and then thats it you should be connected. no need to change any complicated settings "

I have to do this with my own livebox - it is called pairing.

ipswichlister 18:14 PM 26 Aug 12

Thanks for the reply. I've unplugged it several times. I tried changing the channel - with no luck. I've definitely got the right network key - I've attached several laptops/netbooks to it. I couldn't find the small button with the padlock. To be honest my phone's not a real worry but more of a symptom - any smartphones/tablets/ipads don't seem to work with it. It's the Nexus that has brought this to a head.

Thanks again

Steve

difarn 21:50 PM 26 Aug 12

In case you don't have one, here is a link to the operating manual of your router - there is also a update firmware download.

Are you trying to connect using these instructions from Belkin?

ipswichlister 09:10 AM 27 Aug 12

I've got the latest firmware and have followed the instructions. I've connected my phone to numerous other wireless networks, without problem.

ipswichlister 09:11 AM 27 Aug 12

Thanks for trying to help, but I feel I may just give up and buy a new wireless router!

difarn 12:43 PM 27 Aug 12

I'm wondering whether this is causing your problems.

It crossed my mind whether there was a limit on the number of wireless devices on your router but I can't verify this.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Sony Xperia Z5 launch live: Sony Xperia Z5 live video stream from IFA 2015 - watch…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

DxO One 'pro' camera attachment for the iPhone: UK pricing & availability

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites