connecting vcr to pc

tadpole1 18:25 10 May 04

I want to connect my vcr to my pc so that I can edit video tapes on my pc and then transfer to DVD. I plan to use either windows movie maker or Pinnacle Studio. I've got an s-video port on my pc. Do I just need to buy a scart to s-video cable or is that too simple?

Totally-braindead 18:28 10 May 04

Although you can do it this way, I'm sure that the S video is not up to the amount of data you will have coming in, I'm fairly certain you will need to use either Firewire or USB 2.0.

Totally-braindead 18:31 10 May 04

Have a look at click here they do this card and another one slightly cheaper so for only £13.50 you can add Firewire to your PC.

tadpole1 18:32 10 May 04

But how do I connect those to my vcr?

Totally-braindead 18:42 10 May 04

Have a wee look at click here this is only one site I'll see if I can find others for you, by the way a friend of mine wanted to try this a tear or so ago and gave up because his computer wasn't fast enough, he had a Celeron 800 and analogue video takes much more processing power than digital(like from a digital camcorder).

Totally-braindead 18:44 10 May 04

Heres something else to look at click here=

€dstowe 18:50 10 May 04

I assume you have an ordinary VHS VCR. If so, and it is fitted with an S-video output it will be perfectly adequate to feed the signal into your computer for conversion to digital.

Remember though that only top range VCRs have S-video and even though you may have a SCART connector with a S-video output, it isn't necessarily connected to anything within the VCR itself. Read the VCR manual.

Usually if a graphics card is fitted with S-video, it will also have a so-called "composite" input. This is a yellow coloured phono plug.

Note that all of these connections are picture only and you will have to make other arrangements for the sound input.

€d

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…