Connecting A VCR to a computer

sebbywebby 17:39 12 Nov 06

Does any one know the best way of connecting a vcr to a computer or projector

Totally-braindead 17:43 12 Nov 06

What exactly are you wanting to do?

sebbywebby 17:51 12 Nov 06

I would like to show videos on a computer and on a projector but I'm happy to use different leads or wires to do so.

Totally-braindead 18:01 12 Nov 06

The simplest way I think would be to convert the video to dvd. The easiest way of doing this is to use a VCR and a standalone DVD recorder connected via a SCART lead. Press play on the VCR and record on the DVD recorder. Once done you could run it on a PC and connect the PC to a projector and a monitor.

sebbywebby 13:01 16 Nov 06

it needs to be connected to an interactive whiteboard

Graham. 13:22 16 Nov 06

You will have to convert the VCR content, which is Analogue, to Digital. As a computer cannot easily store Analogue, you will have to transfer the content to a Digital medium such as DVD, as above. Then you will be able to save the DVD content to the computer hard drive.

It's not simply a matter of finding the right leads to connect the VCR to your computer.

john-232317 13:52 16 Nov 06

I think if you get a TV card, you can coax the vcr into the tv card instead of a tv ariel.

sebbywebby 11:12 17 Nov 06

what is coax

Jak_1 11:52 17 Nov 06

coaxial cable, the same as the ariel lead to the tv.

Totally-braindead 18:51 19 Nov 06

Which brings me back to my suggestion of using a standalone DVD Recorder connected to a VCR. Very easy to do, the DVD recorder automatically records in digital meaning you do not have to convert the files or anything else.
If you don't own a standalone DVD recorder ask your mates, almost certainly one will have one and it is very easy to do.

Stuartli 18:54 19 Nov 06

>>you will have to transfer the content to a Digital medium such as DVD, as above.>>

It's also possible with Freeview PCI TV cards if they have the appropriate input sockets; the card's PVR software can be used to make recordings for burning to blank media.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5