Connecting USB peripherals to old computer

kwang 14:22 07 May 03

Forgive my ignorance but is it possible to connect a USB scanner or USB printer to a computer without a USB connection, merely the usual serial and parallel ports. If so, how?

Can you connect a USB peripheral to a SCSI port? If so, how?

kwang

cream. 14:57 07 May 03

Not as far as I know.

What you may be able to do is insert a pci usb controller card. This would give you 2 or 4 usb connectors. they can be bought for as little as £10.

They certainly work on win 98 and above and I think they will work on win95b.

click here

click here

Belatucadrus 15:05 07 May 03

Getting USB to work on W95 is rather like banging your head on a brick wall, pretty damn hard.

Gongoozler 16:42 07 May 03

Hi kwang, my experience is that even with a pci card, getting usb to work on an old motherboard is a gamble. It is often best to admit defeat and rebuild the computer with a new motherboard. If anyone has had more success than me, I would be interested to hear how they did it.

cream. 07:13 08 May 03

I have in the past installed 3 pci usb cards into old A.T. systems running windows 98se. As long as the usb function was enabled in the bios, these cards were detected first time. The only other thing that was required was the 98se disk to get the usb drivers.

I have also used usb backplates, these can fit on the usb headers on some old A.T. motherboards. These cost about £2.50 each.

Gongoozler 08:22 08 May 03

Hi the village idiot. I have fitted a pci usb card to an old pc, it was detected but although at first it appeared to work, when it was used to read a digital camera it froze during transfer. The computer had a VIA MVP3+ chipset. This is known to have problems with USB. I think a BIOS upgrade may have helped, but the only reference to this that I could find was in Chinese. In the end I found that it was easier to fit a new motherboard! Hence my comment that getting usb to work on an old motherboard is a gamble.

cream. 08:57 08 May 03

Hi Gongoozler, sorry don't know that chipset. It may be that the upgrades I did were on mmx cpu's? A 200 pentium, a 300 cyrix and a 333 amd all boards supported sdram so they may have been newish old. lol

I agree with you that, with board prices being so low, the cost of an add on card can go a long way in buying a modern up to date board.

Regards tvi

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…