Connecting to University network

Jackcoms 18:27 26 Aug 05

My elder daughter is due to start at university next month. She has a network/web connection available in her room and the university's website says that she will need a "network cable" to connect her laptop to it.

I assume that this means an RJ45 CAT5E straight through Ethernet cable.

Am I correct?

VoG II 18:38 26 Aug 05

I presume so but don't they have a helpline e-mail or phone number that you can check with?

I would buy a long one - you can bet that the socket is in an inconvenient location.

Jackcoms 19:26 26 Aug 05

Yes, I'm sure they do have a helpline. But I'm so happy and excited for my daughter I want to get all her kit NOW!! :-)

"I would buy a long one - you can bet that the socket is in an inconvenient location".

lol

Yep, thanks. That thought had already passed through my mind. ;-))

LastChip 19:56 26 Aug 05

Having had one daughter just complete her degree and another about to start, I can assure you it will be straight through. Crossover cables are only used in special circumstances, connecting two local computers together for example, but not in a server/client situation.

Get a long one is good advice. I think I bought daughter number one, a cable about fifteen feet (five meters approx) long and it's just as well I did. The socket was in a most inaccessible place and it proved to be a blessing to have a long cable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…