Connecting Two Routers with File Sharing

jkk21 16:16 25 Nov 05

I have one router (first) connected to the Internet and another router (second) connected to the first. I set it up as described on click here

So the problem I am having is that computers on the first router can see (via my network places)computers on the second router, but not vice versa. Similarly computers on the second router cannot ping the first, but in the opposite direction it works.

Despite all this I can access the Internet fine on all computers. Any idea how I can solve this problem to be able to share?

-JK

mgmcc 19:12 25 Nov 05

I suspect the problems are related either to firewalls or to IP addressing. Have you disabled the second router's DHCP server and connected it as a simple network switch, not a "router" connected by its WAN port, so that any connected PCs get their IP addresses by DHCP from the first router.

jkk21 21:00 25 Nov 05

I've disabled the second router's DHCP server and the connection b/w the two routers is from LAN port to LAN port. All computers are on the same subnet as reflected by ip addresses & subnet masks. WinXP firewalls on all computers are off.

Internet works great... but not file/printer sharing! I figure it has to be some setting on the second router that I need to tweak so it acts like a bridge/hub and repeats info to the first router about computers connected to it but then again, I could be wrong! Any other ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…