Connecting two routers (Belkin and BT HomeHub)

Hello,

I've recently bought a laptop with wireless n technology built in - and would like to take full advantage of it (such as the speed advantage for sharing and copying files). I already have a BT Home Hub, with a hub phone, so am unable to get rid of this, as the phone would be virtually or actually impossible to set up with another router.

So, my question really is, can I purchase a Belkin N/N1 wireless N router and connect this to the internet socket on this to an ethernet port on the Home Hub and share the broadband between them? Would the HomeHub network be contactable by the Belkin Network? Or do I need to buy a specific Wireless N Access Point? Which one would you suggest (the laptop has an Intel built-in wireless n card).

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Don't want to spend nearly £90 and then not be able to use the thing!

Thanks,

Tom Wright.

Kemistri 01:11 13 Dec 07

Unless a router's documentation specifically states that it can double as an AP or WAP, then it almost certainly cannot. It is not a feature that I have ever seen in a router; otherwise, APs would be rendered largely pointless given the fairly similar costs.

Well that's the thing, I've found N routers to be cheaper than N access points....

So if I were to buy a wireless n access point, and connect this via ethernet to the home hub, would this work? Would the two networks be combined? Or would the only thing they would share be the internet connection?

Thanks again,

Tom.

Kemistri 14:36 13 Dec 07

APs don't create a second LAN, in case that was what you were looking for - they simply provide a means of access to an existing LAN at a location that previously did not have any access. And APs tend to be more expensive due to economies of scale. Even if you did want a second LAN, using two routers or similar is not a solution because they will only create contention. To go down that route, you would opt for a more sophisticated device (ie. not usually home spec) that can support multiple LANs. To be honest, I'm still struggling to work out why you want another device in addition to the Home Hub - these things provide wireless networking, right?

Thanks for responding so quickly - no, I don't want a second LAN, I want them to both form one LAN, but have two SSID's.

The reason I want a second router/access point is because as I say, I've recently got a laptop with wireless n built into it, and I store my music on an external hard drive, so at the moment whenever I want to access that with any sort of decent speed (i.e. to copy music to it or from it) I have to go into the room its placed and just unplug it from the desktop its plugged into and plug it into the laptop. Now I can't get rid of the Home Hub, because it has the Home Hub Phone built into it, so that has to be in the network, and I doubt it would work if anything else was the device connecting to the internet as a modem. So I wanted something to connect to the home hub, that would share the internet connection from it, and extend the network to a second, wireless n network, which would then allow me to connect the external hard drives I have to a USB network device, such as this: click here and then I have access to my external hard drives or whatever else I choose to plug into it, anywhere in the house, at a reasonable speed. Is this possible? Or am I just being a bit too adventurous?

Sorry for the long essay!

Thanks once again,

Tom.

Kemistri 15:27 13 Dec 07

Two service set IDs = two LANs.

If you want to access an external disk, the best way to do that is.... well, actually, I can think of two good ways without even chucking the existing drive for a NAS drive (although NAS drives can now be found for about £60-ish). Either buy a NAS enclosure or, for a bit more outlay, buy a network server/hub. I use one of these as a print server and a NAS for an external hard disk and MP3 player. It's a Belkin and was about the same price as most print servers without any hub abilities or NAS.

Kemistri 15:34 13 Dec 07

I'm wondering about your LAN transfer speed if you currently have to avoid accessing the music files remotely. Is that the case? If so, and you were happy to forgo two SSIDs for the above reasons, perhaps a simple range extender might suffice. Cheaper than an AP.

I stream VBR WMA files across my bog-standard 11g WLAN with no problems, so your Home Hub should be capable of it.

conan_troutman 00:54 01 Jan 08

if your home hub has wireless conectivity built then all you need to do is plug in the hub to it.
this will allow you to attach your Hard drive as a network drive the laptop can connect wirelessly.

if it doesnot have wireless technology then you could try this method

assume Router A is the primary router connected to the DSL or cable model and Router B is the secondary router. We’ll also assume that Router A is already configured properly to connect to the internet via the DSL or cable modem.

Connecting two routers to form one single network:

Get both routers in close physical proximity to one another and to at least one computer
Connect an ethernet cable between one of Router B’s LAN ports and the computer.
Log in to the Router B’s web interface and disable DHCP on that router (consult your router’s manual or manufacturer’s website for more information on this)
Change the LAN IP address of Router B to something other than the default (e.g.,192.168.0.2)
Run a normal ethernet cord between one of the LAN ports on Router A and one of the LAN ports on Router B. Do NOT connect the cable to the WAN port on Router B (this is a common mistake)
Disconnect the computer from Router B and reboot Router B just to make sure it acquires a new IP from Router A
Connect an ethernet cable between one of Router A’s LAN ports and the computer and check what IP you get - it should be something like 192.168.0.3
Disconnect the computer from Router A and connect it to one of the other LAN ports on Router B
Check what IP you get now - it should be in the same IP range as before, something like 192.168.0.x
Plug Router A into the DSL or cable modem and wait until the lights indicate that it has acquired an IP
Using the computer still connected to Router B, verify you can reach the internet

the belkin n1 wireless router as shown here:

click here

will configure as per the instructions

Thanks for everyones help - conan_troutman, that's exactly what I wanted to know.

Thank you to everyone who responded.

Tom.

joelevy 21:02 12 Oct 08

conan_troutman - you are a genius. This exactly solved my problem. Only one minor issue - I now can't get to the config screen of router B from a PC connected to router B. Router A is telling me the IP should be 192.168.15.2 but when I try that in my browser, I get nothing. Any thoughts? All IPs on the network are coming from router A.

Thanks -

Joe

setecio 12:35 13 Oct 08

>>>> Change the LAN IP address of Router B to something other than the default (e.g.,192.168.0.2) <<<<<

Slight problem is that if this is in the DHCP pool it may cause problems at some stage. Check what the DHCP pool is and give it an address outside this eg 192.168.0.200

joelevy, did you allocate a new IP to router B in the same range as used by router A. If so then you have to log in to router B via the new IP that you allocated, and as I mentioned, allocating an IP that is within router A's DHCP pool would cause problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009