Connecting two pc's to broadband

753Df 08:43 29 Jun 05

I have two computers, both Xp. One is connect to broadband, and I want to connect the second one via a router, can anyone advise of a reasonably priced router and is it easy to connect them. The main pc is connected via a main line.

mgmcc 09:07 29 Jun 05

The type of router that you require will depend on whether your network is to be "wired" or "wireless" and whether your broadband connection is "Cable" or "ADSL".

For cable broadband a "stand alone" router is used because the modems supplied by Telewest and NTL support an ethernet connection. For ADSL, use a combined "Router/ADSL Modem" because you cannot use a USB modem with a router.

keith-236785 18:47 29 Jun 05

i use a belkin cable/dsl router bought from PCWorld for £39.99 (yes i know you can buy it cheaper but i had some gift vouchers to spend)

connected and setup in five minutes, very easy to setup...once there just forget about it. my network now works without fault where b4 it kept dropping the internet connection on the client pc.

just remember that connecting via a router you will need STRAIGHT cat5 cable and not crossover.

the router comes with a short cable for your main pc, my NTL modem connects to the router with the LAN cable provided with the modem, you would only need to buy ONE cable to connect another pc.

SEASHANTY 20:04 29 Jun 05

If you are on cable broadband you could try this one. Its fairly cheap.
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…