Connecting two computers to Broadband

george 20:00 28 Jul 03

I have two computers, one upstairs and one down. They both work happily (not at the same time) on Freeserve Off-Peak. Can I run a Broadband connection either one at a time or, better, both connected and what do I need other than the usual modem etc supplied by the ISP. Does it just involve inserting another filter? Thank you, anyone, who can advise me and who, maybe, also knows of a web site where all the information is laid out in laymens' terms.

Joe McG 20:22 28 Jul 03

click here

George this should help you.

Joe McG 20:24 28 Jul 03

sorry mate, wrong thread

click here

DANJAMESOC 20:30 28 Jul 03

I really am not overly good with technical stuff but i bought a Belkin routerand two rj45 cables yesterday and have my laptop downstairs and my pc upstairs connected to the same broadband line. Both can be used at the same time or separately. I'm sure the good people on the forum will be able to give you more thorough advice but if i can do it anyone can! One thing more... i wish now that i had spent a few more quid and set it up wirelessly.

mistagf 20:31 28 Jul 03

Hi george -

Three alternatives really!

Wireless Networking,Standard Networking - or - BT provide a Home Networking kit that connects two PCs via the telephone line.

I have just gone through the dilemma of which route to take but in the end economics dictated that I opt for the basic Network.

Two network cards and a 10m crossover cable cost me about £18 from ebuyer and instructions for the layman here:

computerhope.com

click here

Other than time running the cable I was up and connected in an hour.

My connection by the way is BT Broadband.

jazzypop 20:57 28 Jul 03

click here for a simple explanation of the different options

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:24 28 Jul 03

If you are only using one at a time then all you need to do is buy another ADSL modem....assuming that you have telephone boxes upstairs and down.

G

george 19:26 29 Jul 03

Thanks, gentlemen. You really are the tops and I'll follow your advice and leads

Audeal 20:19 29 Jul 03

>

Bagsey 22:20 29 Jul 03

bump

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017