Connecting two computers

jessej 09:57 06 Mar 05

Seeing as I now have two computers running, one on XP Home/one on 98SE, I had the great idea of connecting them together, so I went out and bought a crossover cable. In my total ignorance I thought it was just a case of plugging into the USB ports on each computer (that should raise a few smiles I think) Wrong, of course. The cable has on each end a plug similar, but larger, to the plug on the telephone cable which connects to the computer and there is nowhere obvious to plug it into. This leads me to think that maybe I need a couple of cards of some kind, is this right? If so I would be obliged if somebody could explain what is needed please. Then, no doubt, there will be some kind of setting up procedure, of which I am completely in the dark about. Perhaps somebody could be good enough to explain please for which I will be very grateful.

ICF 10:19 06 Mar 05
  FelixTCat 11:56 06 Mar 05

If your XP computer is reasonably new it may have a network port around the back somewhere - have a quick look before you splash out.

Otherwise each computer will need a network card. A pci 10/100 network card will only cost about £10 in a shop, or half that on-line; for example: click here

Install them and run the network wizard on the XP computer. Make the floppy disk when offered and run this in the 98SE computer.

jessej 14:39 06 Mar 05

Many thanks to both of you, a great big help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…