Connecting two computers

Magic VI 07:42 29 Aug 03

I have a Laptop with XP Pro and a PC with XP Home. i have managed to get them to recognise each other when linked by a direct connection cable. The problem is that I cannot get beyond this there is no indication of how to access files on the desktop from the laptop or v.v. - no shared files shown. All the articles tell you how to link but not how to .....

medicine hat 09:41 29 Aug 03

In Network Connections, right click on the connection and select Properties. Is File and Printer Sharing ticked?

Magic VI 12:09 01 Sep 03

I checked and it is showing as sharing.

run the network connection wizard again to make sure youve set up everything correctly, then in 'my computer' a folder called 'shared documents' should have been created and 'my network places' added to the start menu.
go to the folders and make sure that their sharing properties are set to 'share on the network'.
now temporarily disable your firewall while you make a connection , once the connection is made you should be able to re-enable it before transfering any files.

now having said all that none of it will work if your file transfer cable is not 8bit.

Rayuk 12:58 01 Sep 03

Have you gone into My Computer and right clicked either the folders or hard drive you want to share and click on Sharing and Security then tick box which is appropriate

Magic VI 19:25 02 Sep 03

Hi,
I have set the sharing properties (and the ability to alter as I am working on my own machines).
I haven't tried the firewall yet though - later. Watch this space.
i amn determined to make it work.

Magic VI 16:28 14 Sep 03

I managed to get the system to show that a connection had been made with the 'direct parallel cable' but I cannot work out what to do after that. How can I acccess files on my laptop (with XP Pro) from my PC (with XP Home)???

I have now tried to connect with an ethernet cable.
I can get it to show a connection, with Network places showing all the shared files. I can work one way - i.e. use the Laptop to access files on the PC but when I try to do the reverse I get a message telling me I do not have access.
I am going spare here because if Microsoft is to be believed it should be easy!!

zaach 16:55 14 Sep 03

I haven't carried out a similar setup myself but have considered it. From what I have read to date the setup only works one way at a time, you have to reverse the host/guest positions to work the other way.

powertool 17:13 14 Sep 03

here to be what I needed to set up my DCC:

click here

powertool

Magic VI 14:46 27 Sep 03

Hi everybody.
Thanks Powertool. I managed to follow the instructions (the viewlets were not avalable on the site) and get my W98 and XP home machines communicating. Next stop is to work out how to share the printers!1

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…