Connecting tow pc's with serial cable ??

Michael-223344 19:48 21 Feb 04

How hard can this be >?
Seems to be harder than I thought.

I have a serial cable for file transfer and attached to the pc's ports. I have configured the "new" pc to be the guest and the old pc to be the host. Yet they cant seem to recognise that each is set up. I have the right names in for the respective computers and also have the correct option sekected for the type of connection.

Whats the obvious thing that I am missing ....

(Predictablly someone will say "sense" or intelligence but i have checked this with my mom and she says I have a bit of both ...:)

Michael-223344 19:50 21 Feb 04

The title should read "TWO PC'S" :(

taffhughes 19:59 21 Feb 04

you should read an aticle on
click here

it talk's you through diffrent ways of linking PCs

Diodorus Siculus 20:02 21 Feb 04

What operating systems and file systes (Fat32 / NTFS)?

Michael-223344 20:08 21 Feb 04

Thanks taff ! It says much what I have done but I have more to go on now , might go the usb route instead .

fitshase 21:52 21 Feb 04

Just to clarify, are you using a serial cable or a null-modem cable?

The null-modem cable will fit in the serial port on your computer and is the same as a serial cable but with the wires inside twisted (much like a crossover network cable).

If you are using a normal serial cable then the computers will not recognise eachother because they cannot see eachother.

Regards

Fitshase

Michael-223344 22:03 21 Feb 04

I bought the cable some time ago and have ditched the packageing ...all i remember was that it was serial and mentioned file transfer ....so i thought it would work ...i will have to buy a "labelled" and obvious null modem cable....or use a usb ...but my new pc is usb 2.0 and the old 1.0 can u mix them ....and get files to transfer from old to new. This is a one time transfer not for constant use. I know i could burn cds but hey I want eventually wipe my old pc and reinstall then put back some files. Then the old pc will become a archive machine in a sense.

fitshase 22:26 21 Feb 04

You can mix USB 2.0 and USB 1.0. They will simply run at the lowest speed (i.e., USB 1.0).

Regards

Fitshase

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…