Connecting third HDD

rawprawn 09:03 06 Feb 05

Is there a way to connect a third internal HDD without disconnecting the other 2. I only need to do this as a temperary measure.

bremner 09:19 06 Feb 05

Your motherboard has two IDE connections. It is likely you will have the existing two HDD's on one and yout CD/DVD's on the other.

Temporarily disconnet the CD/DVD IDE connection. Jumper the new HDD as 'master' and conenct it to the IDE lead you removed from the CD/DVD.

Reboot and you will see you third HDD

Diemmess 09:27 06 Feb 05

Assuming the usual IDE connecting cables, the usual maximum number of devices is 4 (including) any CD devices.

As a temporary measure you can "hang" a third HD on any spare connector as a slave device. A spare power lead may be available from the PSU or you might have to buy a splitter.

You could perhaps do without a connected CD for the time being, and unplug the cables from that?

Mechanically speaking you may not need to do anything about securing the HD. Provided the HD is unlikely to fall over and only its case allowed to touch anything else then you can live with a "disembowelled box" for a session to copy over or whatever you intend to do

rawprawn 09:39 06 Feb 05

Thanks to you both, why didn't I think about using the CD/DVD connection.I can't believe it, I used it yesterday because I had a faulty cable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…