Connecting SpeedTouch 330 to DLink D1-604

spuds 11:16 14 Mar 07

I am probably asking the very obvious here, but my minds gone a blank as to the way of making the satisfactory connection for broadband.So apologies for sounding ignorant.

At present I am using a SpeedTouch 330 modem linked from the BT socket + filter, A second cable with a standard phone line rj11 plug (?) on one end and a usb plug on the other then connects to my usb socket on the computer.Everything is working fine for a one computer system.

I now want to link two computers together on a wired system using the SpeedTouch 330 and a DLink D1-604 Router. Ethernet cards will be fitted to both computers. What cables do I now require,and how should I fit these, as I now believe that the rj11/usb cable will no longer be required.

Should also mention that I have a Sagem [email protected] 800 E2T modem available, and would the same cable connection apply!.

mgmcc 08:50 15 Mar 07

You cannot use a USB ADSL Modem in conjunction with a router, it needs to be replaced with a COMBINED "Router & ADSL Modem".

The D-Link DI-604 appears to be a stand-alone "Cable/DSL" router which is suitable for use with Cable broadband (NTL/Telewest/VirginMedia) but, unfortunately is the wrong type of router for use with ADSL via the phone line.

spuds 11:24 16 Mar 07

As I stated my mind and thoughts were at a low ebb, should have realised that 'cable broadband' was the key factor. Your response as resolved the issue. Even the networking 'expert' at our local PCW didn't spot that! :O)

I will tick this as resolved, as I now have the correct requirements.Much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…