Connecting to School's wifi Network help please?

I am a Governor at a small school which has a wireless internet/computer network. I am currently doing a lot of work for them and took my laptop in to school to use. My laptop saw the school's network, I entered the Wep password and my laptop showed as connected with an excellent signal. However I could not connect to the internet and continuously got the "Internet Explorer is unable to open this page" message.
Am I missing something very obvious that I need to do?
I thought that I could use the wireless signal to surf the internet (I don't wish to access networked PC's or printers etc so didn't add my laptop to the network via the main PC). Any help much appreciated

irishrapter 22:45 07 Sep 07

You would really need to talk to the I.T department or who ever runs your computer network.

I would imagine that a school computer network would be very large and should be fairly secure in order to protect and restrict the students.

Most likely you need to change your domain to the schools domain name and logon to the network using your username and password that you use internally at the school.

Thanks- the IT staff had no idea whether or not I could connect (they have a wep password and I tried explaining about the security implications but they just have too much to do with everything else)
As for the network being large, I'm not sure what large is but there is a max of about 25-30 PCs on it.
I presumed that whilst i couldn't get on to the network I could use wifi to connect to the internet (and it diod show connected).
it wouldn't be anything to do with my firewall would it?

irishrapter 15:25 08 Sep 07

Ok, well that isn't too large of a network, not for a school anyway.

I assume that the wireless router is connected directly to the Internet via ADSL or Cable and not though a server?

When you are connected can you see if you are getting a valid IP address from the router?
To do this go to start / run and type "command"
A command prompt window should pop up, in this window type "ipconfig /all".

Copy and paste the result to the forum.

Hi,
i'll check but I think there is a server- will let you know on Monday!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac