Connecting Samsung Digital Camcorder to PC?

Bill H 23:34 12 Jul 04

Someone bought me a Samsung Digital Camcorder VP-L800U. It uses 8mm tape. However it is designed to connect to a DVD/TV. Has anyone ever connected one to a PC? Is it possible with extra kit?

I have an Evesham Axis 2600+ with Firewire, USB 2.0, etc. Think this may be a round peg in a square hole job but asking nonetheless.

Thanks

harps1h 00:08 13 Jul 04

never had this problem, but is getting a tv card and using the s video connector on it the answer?

or do you have one on your card? also try samsungs website and their faq's

harps1h 00:21 13 Jul 04

just had a look at your manual on the website and suggests thet a s video can be used. try it on your graphics card to see does it work

harps

Bill H 00:32 13 Jul 04

Thanks - I'll try this first. Asked Samsung on their site. May try a TV card if graphics card doesn't work. Worth a try.

Bill H 00:33 13 Jul 04

I have an ATI Radeon 9600 graphics card

Bill H 00:41 13 Jul 04

No go. But I'll research the tv card angle, thanks.

TomJerry 01:00 13 Jul 04

You have been fooled.

You can not directly link analog camcorder to a comoputer.

You need a video capture card (some TV card also have capture function) which convert analog signal to digital signal.

Some graphics cards have video in as well as video out, then you can use graphics card to capture analog video, for example all ATI AIW models.

So you need a video capture card.

Bill H 08:08 13 Jul 04

Thanks TJ, but not fooled/ripped off, just given to me and now trying to see if it can be made to work with a PC rather than just DVD/TV.

Research so far turns up internal or external TV cards with such facilities. Looks do-able.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…