Connecting a printer to a wireless network

s99Raj 08:59 18 Feb 09

I have a desktop PC in my bedroom with a wireless Belkin router attached to it and a laptop downstairs in the lounge connected to the Net wirelessly. I have an Epson 740 connected via USB to the desktop, which I would like to print from, from the laptop. Is this possible? It's not a wireless printer.

On the desktop, I went to Printers and Faxes and clicked on the Epson, and then Share This Computer, giving it the name Epson740. On the laptop I tried browsing for it from the Add Printer but it's not visible. Am I doing this right?

Both computers are using XP Prof.

T0SH 14:17 18 Feb 09

You need to turn on printer sharing (Control panel printers and faxes then right click on the Epson and choose to share it ) on the PC with the printer connected , also check that both machines are members of the same workgroup likely they will be, then try browsing to the desktop PC then expand it in network connections to see the printer and select it it may ask you for a driver so have the CD handy once it is done print a test page

Cheers HC

s99Raj 16:51 18 Feb 09

I've done all that but still can't see the printer. Does the computer (the one which connects directly to the printer via USB) have to be switched ON?

mgmcc 21:01 18 Feb 09

>>> Does the computer (the one which connects
>>> directly to the printer via USB) have to be
>>> switched ON?

Yes, it does have to be running because it is the remote computer that you are accessing over the network and it [the remote computer] is actually controlling the printing.

Doomster1961 00:05 20 Feb 09

First you have to install the Network Service- File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks(Wireless Network Connection Properties) and make sure that each of your network computer are using this Network Service. If this doesn't work than buy a Wireless Printer usb interface that will allow all computers on your network to share and you will not have to have the main computer on . Only the printer needs to be on.
click here

Doomster1961 00:08 20 Feb 09

First you have to install the Network Service- File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks(Wireless Network Connection Properties) and make sure that each of your network computer are using this Network Service. If this doesn't work than buy a Wireless Printer usb interface that will allow all computers on your network to share and you will not have to have the main computer on . Only the printer needs to be on.
click here OR this site
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…