Connecting the power supply to an ATI 4850 graphic

SANAP 22:34 08 Dec 08

I just fitted a new ATI 4850 512MB graphics card but as usual there is a tricky bit. It has to be pwoered so fan will keep it cool and the instructions says it must be connected to the PSU. For the moment I plugged the pwoer lead into a spare connector by the hard drives. I am a bit concerned that I should plug it direct to the PSU but I need clarity. The graphics card pwoer connector can be 4 pin, 6 pin, 0r 8 pin and it then says the psu connector can be 4, 6, 8 as well. However the coonector on the graphics card will not reach a connector on the PSU that is just a stubby thing ending in a plastic block. SO am I ok using the connector near the HD? Or if I have to plug it into the PSU direct where do I get an adaptor as none was provided. I know card uses about 400 watts so HD may be too little.

Help

sanap

I am Spartacus 23:32 08 Dec 08

It's a 6 pin connector for the 4850 and it's powered to make the card work. If you're using the correct PCI-E power connector fitted to a molex then it should be OK. The fan is powered (I think) by the PCI-E slot.

The card won't use 400W, that's what's probably recommended as the minimum for a PSU. I know my system with an HD4870, 4 hard disks and an overclocked Quad Core uses around 380W on full load.

SANAP 20:33 09 Dec 08

Thanks for reply. I was bit concerned as the diagram for the installation seems to suggest a direct link and the PSU has a spare connector jutting out of it, on a very short peice of cable.

sanap

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…