connecting pc to laptop

dazzlet2004 17:29 21 Dec 04

hi could someone please help me or at least shed som light on an ongoing problem that i am having. i have connected my laptop and pc togethr via LAN everything works fine, the printer sharing and the internet sharing. i just cant share files. i have shared folders on both laptop and pc i just cant acess them from one another. i go to the network places and them mshome i can see both the icons for the laptop and the pc i just cant acess the files. please could someone help me with this ongoing problem i am having it is driving me INSANE i have tried everything i can think of.
thanks dazzle

Forum Editor 17:38 21 Dec 04

on either or both of the machines? If you are, turn it/them off and then try.

dazzlet2004 17:41 21 Dec 04

i have turned both the firewalls off as you told me to and the problem still persists please help again

dazzlet2004 17:53 21 Dec 04

any more ideas please

Jeffers22 18:00 21 Dec 04

What message do you receive when you try to look at a shared folder?

dazzlet2004 18:11 21 Dec 04

it says access denied please contact system administrator

LeadingMNMs 19:41 21 Dec 04

Open a command prompt and type "ping 'name'" where name is the name of the other computer. ALternatively if you know their Ip addresses you could use that instead of the machines name. Do you get 4 responses or do they time out ? Repeat this on both machines.

When you say that the sharing of printers work, does this mean that you have printed sucessfully, or is it just that the machines 'see' the printers ?

I assume that you ran the network setup wizard to configure the machines ?

Which firewall(s) are you using on the machines ?

Jeffers22 19:41 21 Dec 04

This sounds like a permissions thing. I would suggest you type the exact error message into the Microsoft Knowledge Base search and you should get a number of things to try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…