connecting a parallel port scanner

sgtdibble 19:08 10 Sep 03

tomorrow i am going to connect a new printer to my nephews computer (running win98)the problem is that his scanner is connected to his printers parallel port.do i just reconnect this to parallel port on the computer or will i have remove scanner drivers and reinstall to make it work? anyone had a similar problem?>>>

wiznyme 19:21 10 Sep 03

Most parallel scanners allow you to piggy back a printer through them (plug it into the back of the scanner instead of the computer).

You shouldn't have to re-install the scanner drivers although sometime you can get conflicts between the scanner & printer in which case try getting the latest drivers for both.

lezw 19:21 10 Sep 03

usually there is a parallel port on the scanner so you so you connect the scanner to the computer and then the printer to the scanner so they share the same connection,but if possible use a usb connection they work a lot better.

sgtdibble 19:33 10 Sep 03

the new printer Epsom c42ux is USB only and the scanner is parallel only at the moment the scanner runs through the printer which has a parallel port i want to disconnect from printer and plug into cpu is this a bit clearer i'm not good at explaining am i

Djohn 19:43 10 Sep 03

Yes, leave the scanner as it is, connected to the PC via Parallel port no need to alter drivers.

New printer, install USB software first, then make the connection from printer to PC with USB cable. The software will tell you when to connect and turn on the printer. j.

wee eddie 19:45 10 Sep 03

If this is the case.

Disconnect all >>> Un-install old Printer Software >>> Plug in the Scanner into the Parallel Port that the Printer was plugged into >>> For your own satisfaction >>> Take a couple of scans. If all is OK.

Read the Printer instruction leaflet and follow the set-up instructions.

Smiler 19:50 10 Sep 03

What you are saying is that the present printer has a pass through port and the scanner is attached to the computer through this. If so all you need do is disconect the scanner from the printer, disconnect the printer from the computer, connect the scanner to the computer with a parallel cable into the old printer port. No need to reinstall anything for scanner but make sure the computer is OFF when disconecting scanner & printer & when reconnecting scanner.

Before you connect the new printer you could try powering up and making sure scanner works OK then I would advise removal of existing printer drivers before installing the new printer's drivers. Then connect new printer to usb (can be done with computer on or off) then install new printer drivers & software.

Smiler 19:51 10 Sep 03

you said it all just ahead of me ;-)

Djohn 20:02 10 Sep 03

Unless Epson have changed their method of printer installation, then important to install drivers before connecting printer.[This is for USB printers] Regards. j.

sgtdibble 21:12 10 Sep 03

wee eddie the the new printer is USB only but i think get what you are telling me thanks to Djohn
and Smiler and anyone I've missed out you've pulled me out of the mud again nearly said the wrong thing then thanks all Tom :-) >>>

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…