connecting old printer to my new laptop

BarryWright 10:35 22 Jun 09

i am having trouble connecting my printer from my old pc to my new laptop.
i have downloaded the driver and in the printer options that printer is set as default, its also not set to work offline.
when i try and print the printer documents box opens and displays the print job but it just sits in the queue and doesn't send to the printer. i have uninstalled the reinstalled the driver.
i cant work out why it wont work so does anyone know?

thanks

Clapton is God 10:48 22 Jun 09

Have you downloaded a driver appropriate to the Operating System on the new laptop (XP, Vista, etc)?

Stuartli 11:28 22 Jun 09

If you list the printer model, more help can be provided.

If you have moved on to Vista, it just might be the case that the printer doesn't have a suitable driver available.

Marko797 11:38 22 Jun 09

your desktop connected the printer via LTP port, and the laptop is via USB?

If so, u will need the USB driver for the printer and not the LTP driver. Easy mistake to make.

Other valid points on OS above.

If you have a network, or thinking of having one, then maybe best to leave printer connected to desktop and connect wirelessly with your laptop, via a router.

BarryWright 20:14 22 Jun 09

both my old pc and laptop where connected via usb.
my laptop runs vista while my pc ran windows xp, there is no info on the disk to say whether it will run on vista or not.
the printer is a dell 720, its about 4 years old.

interzone55 20:34 22 Jun 09

This is where you'll find the Vista driver for that printer.

Download both the driver and the patch. Install the driver then run the patch...

click here=

Stuartli 00:21 23 Jun 09

As Vista was not launched until November 2006 and your Dell 720 is about four years old, it's not surprising that the installation disk doesn't mention Vista...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…