connecting old laptop to plasma

krsna 11:30 28 Nov 09

Hi I have an old acer travelmate200 laptop and I would like to be able to surf the internet and watch on my plasma tv, but the acer has an operating system of Windows ME 64M ram & Intel Celeron & BT voyager 1065 wi-fi card. I would not use it for anything else (emails office etc)I was thinking it would be best to install a new operating system such as Linux? because of the spec of the laptop being very low I think it would not handle XP etc. Any suggestions

User-1229748 11:43 28 Nov 09

no you can't put xp on it,maybe one of the linux peeps can recommend a light linux distro that will suit your needs

User-1229748 11:45 28 Nov 09

in fact this may suitclick here

krsna 11:58 28 Nov 09

Thanks for the link smackheadz but I am wondering if it would solve my problem because I have just tried going on youtube and watching the laptop screen it is very jerky video, I am wondering if the laptop is too slow for video sites. Also the youtube site had a message that I was using IE6 which they will be phasing out, but I cannot upgrade to IE8 because it is not compatable to ME. I am just wondering if I might be wasting my time because even if I upgrade to a non windows OS the laptop might be able to handle video sites, any suggestions

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:57 28 Nov 09

Windows ME 64M ram & Intel Celeron & BT voyager 1065 wi-fi card.

Too little RAM to watch web videos.

krsna 19:34 28 Nov 09

Thanks Fruit Bat I was coming to that conclusion, I think I will have to find an alternative way to connect the tv to internet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…