Connecting notebook to existing router

BELSOX 14:00 26 Dec 09

My son has a new Notebook. I want him to be able to use it using my existing router.
The Notebook has buil-in radio and reports a good signal but will not connect to the internet.

Please - what is the procedure? The accompanying "instructions" consist of 16 basic pages that has been poorly translated from some other language.
TKS
Bubbles

crosstrainer 14:19 26 Dec 09

The lappy needs to be configured for your ISP...If you post who you are with here, we can direct you to the correct page.

The format is roughly (depending on ISP)

Open control panel on the lappy, double click Internet properties. Here you will find the configuration page.

If you are using wireles, you will need the WEP / WPA key that you entered when you first set up the router / Modem

Without ISP, there is little else we can say at the moment.

Graham. 14:21 26 Dec 09

If the notebook can see the router, all that should be required is to enter the Network Key code. Make sure it is your Router and not next door's.

Is it getting that far?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:23 26 Dec 09

What operating system?

Basically Network properties - wireless networks click on you wireless network and insert the security key (password) when asked for.

click Ok and you should be able to conect to web

also worth checking your firewall is not blocking access

BELSOX 23:10 26 Dec 09

Thanks everyone for your attempts to help - much appreciated. HOWEVER - this idiot was using lower case for password because THAT IS WHAT IT SAID in the original instructions I received from my ISP (AOL. My son (aged 8) tried upper case and it all worked. Should've asked him in the first place. Soreeeeeee
Belsox

crosstrainer 06:36 27 Dec 09

Hee hee, a common one that, should have mentioned it...The power of youth eh? :))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…